An exercise in futility and then in growth
The kids helped me sort their toys today and chose 3 bags of toys to give away. Yes, we have that many toys.
Even as we were sorting I thought, this is what is meant by an exercise in futility. I'm trying not to be a grumbly woman, but more in a matter-of-fact way just realizing that what we have sorted will find its way to being unsorted.
But at the same time, I'm much to blame for this mess. This futility.
Sometimes I buy thinking, maybe this one will be the toy that she magically connects with. This will be the toy that will help determine his future career. This toy will buy me half an hour of peace. But they never turn out that way (well, I mean, I'll let them tell the story of the toy that determined their career choice if that how it all happens, but I don't really see that as much of a possibility)
And sometimes I have trouble giving toys away-- hoarding.
And what's particularly gross about that last item is that my friend's baby has one toy. Literally one toy. And so, I'm learning a lot. About teaching my kids, not in words, but in practice what place possessions have in our life. Not love or loathe. Like, appreciate, learning about... What are your thoughts? Bless you.
Even as we were sorting I thought, this is what is meant by an exercise in futility. I'm trying not to be a grumbly woman, but more in a matter-of-fact way just realizing that what we have sorted will find its way to being unsorted.
But at the same time, I'm much to blame for this mess. This futility.
Sometimes I buy thinking, maybe this one will be the toy that she magically connects with. This will be the toy that will help determine his future career. This toy will buy me half an hour of peace. But they never turn out that way (well, I mean, I'll let them tell the story of the toy that determined their career choice if that how it all happens, but I don't really see that as much of a possibility)
And sometimes I have trouble giving toys away-- hoarding.
And what's particularly gross about that last item is that my friend's baby has one toy. Literally one toy. And so, I'm learning a lot. About teaching my kids, not in words, but in practice what place possessions have in our life. Not love or loathe. Like, appreciate, learning about... What are your thoughts? Bless you.