Help One Another
I want Whitaker and Sojourner to know that they were good friends from the start.
Today Whitaker was busy helping Sojourner get dressed. He picked out the shirt that she was wearing while Soj put on her socks (by herself!). They give each other lots of hugs and Whitaker can say Sojo (he also says Dada and ball, but not Mama, yet). Sojo loves to hold Whitaker on her lap. He covers more than her lap, but they are both so happy together. Lately, Soj has taken to falling asleep beside Whit and then I transfer her to her bed before I go to sleep. They are very sweet together.
This said, Whitaker is at the stage where he is very hands on. Sometimes this means he follows Sojo wherever she is going, pushes her or tries to take her toys. So there's a balance that we're trying to establish of togetherness and individuality.
I was reading some of Maria Montessori's writings last night and was encouraged by what she said as the teacher as an observer and a scientist. It really has been helpful for me to be a more alert observer of the kids (today) and not intervening too soon, letting them figure out some things for themselves. It has relieved me of some self-imposed frustration. Thanks Ms. M!
Today Whitaker was busy helping Sojourner get dressed. He picked out the shirt that she was wearing while Soj put on her socks (by herself!). They give each other lots of hugs and Whitaker can say Sojo (he also says Dada and ball, but not Mama, yet). Sojo loves to hold Whitaker on her lap. He covers more than her lap, but they are both so happy together. Lately, Soj has taken to falling asleep beside Whit and then I transfer her to her bed before I go to sleep. They are very sweet together.
This said, Whitaker is at the stage where he is very hands on. Sometimes this means he follows Sojo wherever she is going, pushes her or tries to take her toys. So there's a balance that we're trying to establish of togetherness and individuality.
I was reading some of Maria Montessori's writings last night and was encouraged by what she said as the teacher as an observer and a scientist. It really has been helpful for me to be a more alert observer of the kids (today) and not intervening too soon, letting them figure out some things for themselves. It has relieved me of some self-imposed frustration. Thanks Ms. M!
