The Scoffer in Me
So in a previous post I had noted that I'm affected by, even afraid of, people scoffing at me. I even specifically mentioned Tim Minchin (which maybe I shouldn't have. I like the dude a lot. Maybe it's not fair to mention people by name, even if they are famous. You have any thoughts on that? It's not that Tim's always scoffing, just sometimes)
So scoffing-- what's the difference between a truthful, humorous comment (enlightening) and scoffing? Without Goggling it, (maybe I'll do that later), I think it comes down to intent. Having humor while making a corrective judgment (offer?) is a very good thing. Humor is essential to good living. Of course, humor needs to be used in the context of a trusting and established relationship.
Scoffing isn't about truth and the person's betterment. (even though there may be truth behind scoffing). It misses the mark because it's about putting another person or idea down. It's about getting the last laugh instead of sharing a laugh.
So, I was thinking about the scoffer in me. How sometimes I value a laugh (even just in my own mind) over the other person's good. That's scoffing. And I want that to change. So I'm hoping today to laugh-- A LOT-- but I'm hoping to laugh responsibly. Share the good laughter.
So scoffing-- what's the difference between a truthful, humorous comment (enlightening) and scoffing? Without Goggling it, (maybe I'll do that later), I think it comes down to intent. Having humor while making a corrective judgment (offer?) is a very good thing. Humor is essential to good living. Of course, humor needs to be used in the context of a trusting and established relationship.
Scoffing isn't about truth and the person's betterment. (even though there may be truth behind scoffing). It misses the mark because it's about putting another person or idea down. It's about getting the last laugh instead of sharing a laugh.
So, I was thinking about the scoffer in me. How sometimes I value a laugh (even just in my own mind) over the other person's good. That's scoffing. And I want that to change. So I'm hoping today to laugh-- A LOT-- but I'm hoping to laugh responsibly. Share the good laughter.