Maiz! Maiz Malaki
There is a man who walks down our street peddling yummy ears of corn. They're warm, golden, fresh, and according to what he shouts, big. "Maiz (corn), maiz malaki (big corn)!"
Lately, Sojourner has taken up mimicking him. The problem is that this is what you do if you want to buy what they are selling. Soj was horrified when the vendor turned and came back to our gate. She ran inside and said to me (I was watching from the living room) "Man at our gate." Here is Sojourner eating the corn that she called for.

Hmmm. Maybe I should learn more Pilipino, she is thinking, then I can get ice cream instead. I finished the corn. Now Sojo waits till he is out of earshot to pretend to be the corn seller.
Lately, Sojourner has taken up mimicking him. The problem is that this is what you do if you want to buy what they are selling. Soj was horrified when the vendor turned and came back to our gate. She ran inside and said to me (I was watching from the living room) "Man at our gate." Here is Sojourner eating the corn that she called for.

Hmmm. Maybe I should learn more Pilipino, she is thinking, then I can get ice cream instead. I finished the corn. Now Sojo waits till he is out of earshot to pretend to be the corn seller.